Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dressmaking 101

My dear, sweet mother-in-law agreed to help me make my Halloween costume/teach me to sew. We made a Princess Peach dress! Here's the documentation of our efforts.

As we were cutting out the pieces, we realized that I got shorted a yard when I bought the light pink. That was fun. We made a quick trip to Savannah to get some more, only to learn that they didn't have the same fabric (despite being told that they did over the phone). So we got some sparkly light pink to do the bodice & sleeves.


The completed bodice. I sewed the whole thing! Kathy ironed. I don't do irons. I've come to terms with the fact that I need to make friends with the iron if I'm going to sew, but you're gonna have to give me some time...




Sleeves (light pink) and skirt poof (dark pink). The skirt poofs have my first official rolled hems on them!




Bodice with sleeves. I also at this point sewed the skirt panels together & gathered the top, but didn't take a picture. There was too much skirt to get a clear shot!



Here's where Kathy took over. See all that mess? Yeah. That's gathered skirt poofs sandwiched between the bodice & skirt, which is also gathered. I didn't put a ruler in the picture for scale, but trust me, it was nearly 3/4 of an inch thick of fun-ness to sew through. So, yeah. Kathy took over.



Action shot! I'm ripping out a seam, I think it's the zipper. That zipper did not want to go in properly! It was quite the debacle to say the least. She finally got it in though & all was well. Notice, too, in this picture that I'm wearing what looks like a white skirt. That's my crinoline. Yup, I was sporting the T-shirt & crinoline look most of the day!


No picture of the finished product because it's a surprise. Stay tuned for pictures of the entire costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment